[OLSR-users] Host vs. Network route propagation with OLSR

Andreas Tønnesen (spam-protected)
Thu Jul 20 21:58:50 CEST 2006

Hi Val,

I understand your confusion!
In an ad-hoc network _every_ node is a router, but the nodes are usually
part of the same subnet. Aggregated routing is based on the assumption
that a subnet is reachable on a network segment(on-the-wire). The problem
with MANETs is that all nodes are not reachable by one layer2-hop and
therefore host routing is nessecarry.
So the assumption from traditional routing that we can add an aggregated
route to a routers subnet fails. However, it is possible to build
something similar to what you describe using HNA(host/network
association). Nodes can announce external connectivity as subnets by
sending HNA messages.

On a sidenote I've been playing with the idea of making a olsrd version
that only uses propagated routes. Say you have a network consisting of
only the good ol' WRTs. Then every WRT is assigned a small subnet. The WRT
then uses normal ethernet/WLAN operation towards its clients(DHCP etc) but
does not (need to) do any NAT.
In such a network only aggregated routes would be needed in the MANET as
well. In addittion you would probably want a mechanism to build host
routes for maintainenc etc. but that wouldn't be too hard.
Ofcause then you would turn olsrd in to a "backbone routing protocol" but
so what :) Hosts could still connect if they were assigned a subnet upon
joining the network.

Anyways, I hope the explanation made senese (even is my last
thinking-out-loud section might not have) :)

- Andreas