[Olsr-dev] making olsrd a "Position Independent Executable" i.e. gcc -pie -fPIE

Henning Rogge (spam-protected)
Tue Oct 2 23:11:38 CEST 2012

On Tue, Oct 2, 2012 at 11:07 PM, L. Aaron Kaplan <(spam-protected)> wrote:
>> Yes, unfortunately we cannot give root away after initializing... even
>> if we could hand over the rtnetlink socket to another process, OLSRd
>> needs the capability to open new sockets when an interface goes up.
>
> Is it possible to get all interfaces (even if they are not up) beforehand?
> On the other had, that will not account for newly created interfaces (such as tapX interfaces).

Or an interface going down and up... that kills the socket, which has
to be re-created.

It can be done on linux I think, but it will not be trivial.

Steven Hawkings about cosmic inflation: "An increase of billions of
billions of percent in a tiny fraction of a second. Of course, that
was before the present government."