[Olsr-dev] How to leverage OLSR to distribute a common node identifier?

Ferry Huberts (spam-protected)
Fri Jun 17 19:16:36 CEST 2011

On 06/17/2011 07:06 PM, Aaron Daubman wrote:
> Greetings,
>
> I'm looking for a way to distribute naming (but not exactly
> DNS/hostname info) among a set of nodes all participating in a OLSR
> mesh network.
>
> I've looked at the nameservice plugin, as well as the mdns and p2pd
> plugins, but these all seem to be much more heavy-weight or slightly
> different than what I'm intending to accomplish.
>
> My goal would be to allow a minimal ZeroConf/Bonjour like messaging
> (e.g. the way iChat sends out presence/nick-name information) among
> nodes in an OLSR network. Unlike some of the plugins listed above,
> there would be no HNA interfaces, as all nodes in the mesh would be
> direct OLSR participants.
>
> Am I missing an existing way to include something like a node name or
> ID in messages sent out by OLSR (e.g. include not just "my IP is", but
> also include "my nickname is" in HELLO messages).

currently I think the most appropriate id to use is the olsr main
address. you can get to this address via the olsr config and don't need
to touch any core code

beware, this address can either be an ipv4 or an ipv6 address, depending
on which stack you run on.

--
Ferry Huberts