[Olsr-dev] mtu problem with multicast ipv6 packets

Henning Rogge (spam-protected)
Mon Mar 23 19:30:05 CET 2009

On Montag 23 März 2009 19:10:46 John Hay wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Last year I reported a problem with FreeBSD (and I guess the others with
> KAME derived IPv6 stacks) where they would limit multicast packets to
> 1280 bytes. This caused fragmentation inside the stack. Possible solutions
> floated around, but was never committed.
>
> Here is a fix that only touch one file. The effect of setting the socket
> option IPV6_USE_MIN_MTU to 0 is that the stack will not limit multicast
> packets to 1280 anymore, but to the mtu of the interface.
Is there a drawback to set this parameter always on ? Or did I misunderstand
the patch and IPV6_USE_MIN_MTU is set by some system include file ?

Just another thing, at the moment I'm looking at the linux kernel multicast
implementation to see if we can get a kernel based multicast for OLSR. You
seem to have lot's of knowledge about BSD multicast, would you be interested
in joining the project ? It would be great to have multicast capable OLSR for
linux AND bsd... if yes just contact me directly please.