[Olsr-dev] drop routes with default-gw

Hannes Gredler (spam-protected)
Mon Feb 11 09:11:52 CET 2008

Clemens Hopfer wrote:
> I think this is a good method to keep the routes in the kernel low and
> the windows-machines will also like it ;-)

the more generic solution to this problem is is known in the industry
as 'auto-summarization' - what it does is to figure out
consecutive prefixes which share a nexthop and substitute it
with a shorter prefix.

example:

192.168.0.0/24 -> nh 1
192.168.1.0/24 -> nh 1
192.168.2.0/24 -> nh 1
192.168.3.0/24 -> nh 1

can be substituted by

192.168.0.0/22 -> nh 1

on a personal note, i found it hard to build such a route/nexthop
optimizer that does the right thing when your prefix
starts to degenerate (one of the original /24s changes nh).

your proposal starts getting interesting if we get into the water
of having thousands of entries in our networks, therefore i'd
encourage you to work further on this ;-)

/hannes