[olsr-dev] new ipc

Lorenz Schori (spam-protected)
Tue Mar 7 12:58:48 CET 2006

Am 06.03.2006 um 12:09 schrieb Thomas Lopatic:

> Hey Lorenz.
>
>> [...] i favour a proper ipc implementation where data  from olsr
>> core and data from plugins would be accessible thru the  same
>> connection
>> in an uniform way... [...]
>
> Fully agreed.
>
> But as we're dreaming anyhow, let's make this a two-way communication
> mechanism, through which we cannot only pull information from olsrd
> and
> its plugins, but through which we can also re-configure and control
> olsrd and plugins while olsrd is up and running. :-)

so let's think a bit further about a better ipc. for me a better ipc
would dump all the interesting data after a client connected or (for
a two-way protocol) after the client expressed it's interests. even
data from plugins (like nameservice or powerinfo). then the better
ipc would send some sort of EOF and continue with subsequential
updates as long as the connection stays alive. a better ipc has some
sort of modular protocol and the dataformat is human readable. this
makes it suitable for scripting. kismet (1) is somehow related to
olsrd regarding the architecture (client, server, plugins) and has a
very good ipc protocol in my opinion.

your toughts?
lorenz

1) http://www.kismetwireless.net