[olsr-dev] Plugin for dynamic proactive service discovery

spoggle (spam-protected)
Fri Jun 16 02:05:59 CEST 2006

On 6/15/06, Rae Harbird <(spam-protected)> wrote:
> spoggle wrote:
>
> > I think you have your terminology backwards - OLSR is proactive, AODV
> > is the opposite, an on-demand protocol (the OD in AODV)
>

> Oh sorry! of course - I meant to say reactive, I need to learn a lesson
> about sending messages too late
> in the evening.
>
> > Determining the set of MPRs really requires a proactive protocol.
>
> Presume this is because we cannot assume the required level of stability
> over a 2-hop span?
>
> > On-demand protocols are missing the global information that allows the
> > set of MPRs to be determined.
>
> Because they do not usually maintain neighbour  information through
> HELLO messages?

yeah, sort of...

the long answer is that in a proactive protocol i know where each and
every node in the network is and how to get there.  when i go to
determine a set of MPRs, i am guaranteed to have all the topology
information so i won't lose any nodes.

in a reactive protocol, i know where the active nodes are, but if a
node is sitting quietly and we don't have a route to it, we don't know
it exists - this node would not be accounted for in the set of MPRs.

consider a branch like this:

rest of the network ----- a ----- b ----- c

a & b are routing to each other, c is quiet

in a proactive mesh, a knows c exists and how to route packets to it,
and b would be an MPR - in a reactive mesh, a would not necessarily
know of the existence of c, and a might be the MPR leaving c without
an MPR neighbor.

> >   In special cases it's possible the information
>
> > might be available in an on-demand protocol, and it might
> > be valid, but the reliability of packets passed via the MPRs would be
> > touchy.
>

> True. Maybe it would be better not to use MPRs in reactive mode.

that's what i'm thinking.

> >   A group that I know of was attempting to provide this sort of
> > information from an OD protocol, but last I heard it essentially
> > degenerated into a proactive protocol with all the disadvantages of
> > both.
>
> Is there any public information about the group? I'm interested to find out
> more.

to my knowledge nothing was ever published